Here is a new feature on Gmail that let it users use email on any mobile phone without internet connection. With this feature, you can receive, reply and send emails as SMS messages, regardless of whether you have a data bundle connection like GPRS, EDGE, WiFi or 3G. This means that even if your phone can not browse the internet, you can still access your email messages using this SMS features on Gmail. This is tagged ‘Gmail Without Internet Connection’. This feature is currenctly only available to those in Nigeria, Ghana and Kenya. Other African countries will still be added in future, according to Gmail.
How to Get Started Here’s how to start using Gmail SMS on your phone:
1. Go to Gmail.com and login. If you don't have an account,pls register.
2. Click your profile photo at the top of any Gmail page and click Account. 3.Click Open SMS settings in the “Phone and SMS" section.
4. Add or edit your phone number to receive Gmail to that number.
5. Verify your phone number by entering the verification code that we sent as SMS to your phone.
6. Check the box for email forwarding to your phone. Once you start Gmail SMS, you can also reply to emails and compose new emails as SMS.
Here are a few details about this feature:
* Receiving email: Gmail SMS is based on a credit system.
* Receiving email is free, starting with a 30 email credit.
* Every time you reply to an email by SMS, send a command (e.g. MORE, HELP) or compose a new email, you get 7 more free emails.
* Gmail SMS will notify you if your credit is close to 0.
Mobile operator charges:
* Receiving SMS is free of charge, but network providers may charge for every SMS sent from your phone, be it a reply or any command.
* Mobile operators supported are: Nigeria – Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, MTN, Starcomms, and Visafone.
Viewing Your Gmail SMS Messages Here’s what you’ll see when you open a Gmail SMS on your cell phone:
1. “g:” indicating this SMS is from Gmail
2. Email address of the sender
3. Subject of the email
4. Additional text from the body of the email, up to the maximum SMS length delivered by your mobile operator.
Here’s an example:
Then u'l recieve this text Your application Hi examwizards, we would like to invite you… To see more of the email, reply with MORE, M, or + and you’ll then receive an additional SMS with more text from the email.
You can reply with these commands as many times as you like until you reach the end of the message.
Each Gmail SMS you reply to with MORE, M, or + will be marked as read in your Gmail inbox. Replying to Gmail SMS messages You can respond to an email by replying directly to the SMS from your cell phone. Gmail will add your response as an email in the appropriate conversation thread. When you reply, the original message will be marked as read in your Gmail inbox.